the art of imperfect


This year I am making art for Lent. I spend a lot of time thinking about and making art in some form or another, but I don't always share my art. I don't think that is a bad thing, not everything needs to be shared of course.

But often what holds me back is what holds everyone back, the need for perfection. Or, fear of imperfection.



I noticed the other day the beautiful imperfection of organic apples. I love the spots and blemishes of these apples because they tell me they are real. 

Other apples, the perfect apples, are frightening and ugly in their perfection. Perfection is a form of ugliness, it represents something false and unnatural. 

Art is beautiful when it is quirky and easy and honest. And I find I love people more, too, when they are a little bit odd and authentic and wonderful.

I find this is true in all of living: perfection, or the pursuit of it, sucks the life out of the thing- whether parenting or friendship or marriage or spirituality or art. It's all art.

Again, the little boy's lunch: would I have dared give Jesus a lunch so small and imperfect? He does not ask for our perfection, but our life.

My first week of Lent is about letting go of perfect.

--------
I am making art every day, though maybe not on the blog every day. One way I am enjoying searching for daily art is on instagram- jesstock25. (Yes, I finally got an iphone and yes I love it! -wink)

Comments

Ruth said…
Beautiful, Jess.
LisaM said…
I've thought the very same thing about organic apples. :-)

And too bad instagram is only for those with a smart phone. I'm missing all the art!!!

Popular Posts