Tuesday, May 13, 2014

How to have your dream home without moving

As we have been house-hunting, one home has captured my heart. It is crisp and adorable and the price is great and all of the responsible money-draining things have already been done to it. We fell in love with every room.

Here's the rub: the house is small. Quite small, and when you add in three children and homeschooling and no storage, it would be a challenge to make it work long term. But the more I think about it the more I love that little house.


So I am asking myself why am I so attracted to a house that is too impractical, and when I think about what it is I really love, it is simply because it is as clean and neat as a pin. I have no doubt that the very same house under a lot of clutter would not have been at all appealing.

We haven't made a decision and are leaning towards staying where we are, but I am acting like we're moving anyway.

Because moving gives you permission to purge.

Every time we move I get rid of anything we don't need, and then moving into a new house feels great because it is clutter-free. In three years at this house the clutter has crept back in, but I realized that I don't need to wait for a move to clean out.

I am thinking about the too-small house and trying to create the same vibe in the house we already live in. I find myself falling in love with this house all over again.

Some things I noticed about the too-small house:

-No clutter anywhere
- Although there isn't much storage, the basement and closets weren't full. 
- Clean surfaces
- A tiny kitchen, but pared down to the essentials made it feel welcoming
- Neutral grey tones and sheer white curtains
- A few carefully selected pieces stood out such as a gorgeous light fixture in the dining room, a sharp rug in a bedroom
-They also only had one child so there were about a million fewer piles of toys and coloring papers and random bits of stuff.
- The cable and internet cords and routers were on neat shelves in the basement- no cords in sight. I love this!
- No rugs at the doors. I'm sure this was for staging purposes, but I have removed several of our rugs for the summer and it makes a difference.
- No coats and shoes piled everywhere. I'm not quite sure what they do with their coats and shoes when they come in the door, this is a continual problem for us. With summer here it is much easier to keep the sandals neatly in a shoe basket.

The owners clearly are masters at staging a house. But I learned something which is that perhaps I could fall in love with any house, simply by keeping control of the clutter.

It feels good to move, without having to move.

5 comments:

Brandee Shafer said...

Thanks for writing about this. I find that "neat as a pin" feels quite unattainable to me. I tried to imagine your basket for sandals. We have a giant tote (I mean massive!) by the door for shoes.

Sarah Heaston said...

Love this post Jess! :) I have a picture on my wall that I have always loved, it says "Love grows well in little houses"....your post reminded me of it! Decluttering is very freeing....often simple is a feast!

Jessica Stock said...

Sarah I love that! and Brandee our shoes never stay in a basket- only a dream! ha!

LisaM said...

Yes!!! Live well now in the space you have. Love your list... :-)

Cami said...

I smiled all the way through this. I often tell my husband that our house isn't too small, we simply have too much stuff. And it's true. I love to purge and he loves to save, in case it comes in handy one day.

Simply loved this post.