Monday, June 23, 2014

from rest


There is a new and unexpected theme of my summer: Peace. Rest. Sabbath.

I did not see this one coming.

Even now I am wondering if we will sustain this. The first two weeks of our summer have been consistently this.

It has been happening several times a day- an invitation to rest. I can't explain it. I just come upon it, out of the blue. The kids will be playing happily. Work is done. And there is a pause, like a quiet voice inviting me to rest a bit. 

The kids feel it too I think, just a good, steady, quiet, pace. 

I thought and prayed a lot about our summer. I wanted it to be intentional but not over-planned or controlled. I thought of this summer as an opportunity to teach the children Sabbath. How to rest. The enjoyment of good, lovely, meaningful things. To be content with a quiet life.

What I didn't expect was that I would learn these myself.

Truly, sometimes our Good Shepherd makes us to lie down in green pastures.


Maybe it is a shift in my state of mind or the ages of the kids or the circumstances we happen to find ourselves. Maybe I am learning how to rest in the goodness of God.


p.s. It all started with this podcast with Andrew Kern by Sarah Mackenzie on Teaching from Rest-- so good! 

(I just purchased Sarah's Teaching from Rest series- will be sure to write a review)



No comments: