imagination



Like anyone, most battles I fight are in my own mind. I am instructed to think on things above . .. whatever is  true, good, lovely . . . 

What, then, do I think about?

This is why I am glad for artists who pull back the curtain.

I am glad for stories which make me long for another world, and for poetry which helps me to "imagine what I know."


Art helps me see what is unseen, to believe in the true and lovely and good and see a vision of it. Imagination helps me to escape myself.


"An unimaginative person can never be reverent or kind" (John Ruskin)

"Thus the person who sneers at beauty 'can no longer pray and soon will no longer be able to love.' Prayer can only be motivated by a love that reveals the beauty we long for, denial of which cuts off at its roots the ability to pray." (*) 



*Beauty for Truth's Sake, Stratford Caldecott

Comments

Popular Posts