of my heart




"Some people I've forgotten but some are just stuck in me." 
-Annie, age six, referring to her friends, the friends of her heart. 

I think we take people and relationships much too lightly in this world, especially in the church. And at the same time we make far too much of love, turning it into something fragile and impossible.

As believers in Christ we are to love one another deeply; to fall in love over and over, in a thousand different ways. It requires soft skin and to be easily bruised and far too vulnerable. And yet love would pour out of us and fill up the gaps like light and grow in the cracks.

That's the theory. But it hurts and I fail all the time.

Throughout history churches attempt discipleship in all manner of ways, but none so effective, in my experience, as the people who came as a letter from Christ, and became written on my heart.

You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.  2 Cor.3:2-3


When you remember me, it means you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart.Frederick Buechner


Related: The people who have influenced me


Recollections of Joy: the beautiful people I carry in my heart #26/36 

Comments

Popular Posts