Thursday, December 11, 2014

to know

As I've read my Bible lately the thing that keeps standing out is how often we are directed toward knowing, or knowledge.

I seem to focus more on feeling and behavior- the fruit of the spirit, right living- but I don't quite appreciated the emphasis the Bible places on correct knowledge and understanding. Reading again it seems that knowledge comes first- how we live and feel would flow out of what we know and understand.

I was working on an art project for our co-op, and I had to draw a still life, something I haven't done in a while. Realism is not my strength- my drawings are usually somehow distorted and I must continually re-see what I am trying to draw.

The problem is that the mind is not good at knowing. We think we know- and that is what throws off our perspective. Often drawing lessons will recommend turning an object upside down to draw it- when our own logic is suspended we can actually see what is there.

Maybe this is an exercise in faith. What we think we see is not always what is there. Our circumstances are only a shadow- so concentrate on what we know to be true about God. It is a constant, deliberate effort to study and remember truth.

There is a circumstance currently which I need to turn upside down in my mind- in order to see what is actually there

(and it all is love).
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down . . . 
-from Lorica of St. Patrick

. . . to know this love that surpasses knowledge- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Eph.3:19

No comments: