Thursday, January 8, 2015

Lila



Lila by Marilynne Robinson

My soul devoured this book. I want so badly for it to be true. I want to believe there really are such kind people in the world. That things that happen have meaning, that we exist on purpose and for a purpose and that the world will break your heart yes and take your breath away too, but to rely heavier on the latter.

I want the theology she struggles through in this story to be truer than true- that love carries us in her arms and we all find our way, eventually, home.

Some deep part of me believes that it is.

(I love everything Marilynne Robinson has written. Her prose keeps me weeping and hoping, I finish the book quieter and gentler and every common bush is afire with God. One of the loveliest love stories I have read. I am beginning to think that only a good theologian can tell a really good love story).

No comments: