Saturday, February 14, 2015

books this week

Today is Valentine's Day. But we had breakfast on the good plates, and raspberries in teeny tiny cups, and we've broken all the diets. (A post on our almost-Whole30 soon). Sam made chocolate lava cake waiting in the refrigerator, and steaks marinating, and potatoes sliced for these french fries (one of the beautiful things to happen during almost-Whole30). The kids are lego-ing, I am planning our kitchen remodel, Jim is reading. It's been snowing all day and there is no reason to leave the house. Perfect.


Books:
Crossing to Safety: Wallace Stegner
This is such a lovely book. I am sad it is over. The story of a beautiful friendship- two married couples- who find each other and walk through life together until the end. It is the kind of friendship which is probably too good to be true, and time together spent doing the every good kind of thing. A simple, gorgeous story about marriage and friendship and living and dying. 

Once again I ask myself, how do people cope who don't read fiction? 

The Expats: Chris Pavone
Maybe it is because thriller/suspense books aren't the kind I typically read, this felt contrived and outlandish. I suppose it did hold my attention, mostly because I had already invested enough to make it worth finding out what happened. The characters were entirely shallow and selfish and I wasn't able to sympathize with them at all. Books such as these work well on audio because I can tune out and not miss much.



Listen:
"Things take the time they take. Don't worry."

Link:
I fear that -- if we continue this mad quest for perfection -- we will all end up as stressed-out and jumpy as those stray cats who live in Dumpsters behind Chinese restaurants, forever scavenging for scraps of survival while pulling out their own hair in hypervigilant anxiety.



“[Friendship] is a relationship that has no formal shape, there are no rules or obligations or bonds as in marriage or the family, it is held together by neither law nor property nor blood, there is no glue in it but mutual liking. It is therefore rare.”

― Wallace StegnerCrossing to Safety

1 comment:

Corinne Cunningham said...

I loved Crossing to Safety. Loved it.