Sunday, February 1, 2015

What I Learned in January

1. We have a ballerina. 
This girl love, loves her ballet class. It is bringing out all kinds of confidence in her that I didn't know she had. What fun to watch new colors emerge in our kids.


2. I really love teaching art.
I have an opportunity to teach art for six weeks at our co-op and I am enjoying it so much.

3. Courage begets courage, art begets art.
(Just a thought)

4. Playdates are out, girls nights are in
In January I decided that it is time to retire from the playdate. It's been a nearly ten year run of them, and I'd like to be done now. Our kids friends are welcome here- Always- but it is time for the mothers to graduate to Mom's Night Out. Fewer granola bars, more bottomless chips and salsa please.

5. Given a weekend to do anything, we choose the library.
My awesome sister-in-law and brother kept our kids for an entire weekend. We went to the library. It was perfect.




6. How very grateful I am for indoor plumbing.
Yes and Amen.

7. These sock snowmen- a cute and easy playdate kids craft.




8. Rollerskating is just as awesome as it always was-
but better, with my kids. My childhood skating rink hasn't changed one bit in thirty years. At all.

9. Whole30 isn't awful. (But is it necessary?)
I'm on day 8. I miss tortilla chips. And cream in my coffee. Not making any promises.



10. To pray for the interior life of my kids.
What do they think and dream and imagine? The older they get the more I realize there are parts of them which I have yet to meet, places I can't go with them. I am learning to pray for their solitude, their curiosity, their wonder.

We are in the middle of a winter storm here in Cleveland today. There are meatballs in the crockpot, we are heading out to watch the Superbowl with some friends, I've spent most of the day writing. Today is lovely.

1 comment:

Corinne Cunningham said...

Library dates... What a brilliant idea!