whatever we lose(like a you or a me)

Last week I went to the store for groceries and when I came home the bananas slipped out of the bag and landed in the snow, and something about that image of brilliant tropical fruit on a snow bank filled me with such wild longing. Today I went to the store and brought home bananas and I ate one standing at the window, sun pouring over. Things in their place.

Now there is sun on my toes and on my shoulder and pouring over the keyboard. Child emerges with the sun tangled in her hair and a white tank top slipping off a brown shoulder. Today is a long blue day. Small rhythms. We will stretch, play, listen. I am so thankful.


I love our latest poetry memory, for while we are in Florida:
maggie and milly and molly and may
E. E. Cummings
maggie and milly and molly and may 
went down to the beach(to play one day)
and maggie discovered a shell that sang 
so sweetly she couldn’t remember her troubles,and
milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;
and molly was chased by a horrible thing 
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles:and
may came home with a smooth round stone 
as small as a world and as large as alone.
For whatever we lose(like a you or a me) 
it’s always ourselves we find in the sea


The Piano Tuner
The redeeming qualities of this book are it's setting and truly mystical sense of faraway lands, legends and curses, the entrancing qualities of music, beauty, a search for something one cannot name. The writing is dreamlike and haunting. And yet the plot did not match the setting and prose. I was irritated by the main character- by his inexplicable choices and what felt like forced tension of the story. I suppose I am meant to notice the literary devices, and be left pondering what happened or what was fantasy. But I just didn't connect with the character enough to really care.


Comments

Popular Posts